If you’re looking for a storage combination boiler that really stands out – look no further than our 111-W Review.
Adding another impressive string to their bow, the Viessmann Vitodens 111-w is an excellent example of advanced design and engineering. Not something the German manufacturer takes lightly.
In this article, you’ll find all the information you’ll need to understand what makes this boiler so unique and impressive.
Why not take a look at some of our other blogs to find out how we can help you:
- Will a new boiler save money
- Installation of a gas boiler
- New Boiler Options
- Broken Boiler
- Which? Boiler Installation
- Which Oil Boiler
Any questions you have, you can call us directly on 02920 650 025. As well as this, you can click here to get a free, no-obligation quote online. It’s that easy!
Who are Viessmann?
Before we go into what makes the Viessmann Vitodens 111-w so great, let’s briefly explore the people behind the boiler.
Germany manufacturer Viessmann have been operating since all the way back in 1917. As a result, they’ve been able to build a company now making great leaps in technological development.
Although they’ve been operating for over a century, it was 1989 when they finally made their way to the UK. Their headquarters in the UK are based in Telford, Shropshire. As a company now worth well over £2 billion, they’ve clearly been able to enjoy a lot of international presence. Viessmann have extended into the domestic heating market as a company that strive to be innovative. They’re enjoying the similar success producing superior boilers.
Some other points about Viessmann:
- 23 production companies in 12 countries
- Headquarters are situated in Allendorf, Germany
- 55% turnover generated abroad
- Currently over 12,000 employees across the world
As well as this, they’ve also been the recipient of several prestigious awards, including:
- Red Dot Award
- Specialist Trade Partner No. 1
- Golden Partnership Certificate
- German Design Award
- A Which? Best Buy for the last 3 consecutive years, across their range of boilers
With all this considered, it pays to know exactly who’s behind one of the best storage combi boilers out there. Manufacturers such as Worcester Bosch, Vaillant, Glow Worm and Ariston offer good competitive products. So for the next 12-15 years, you want a boiler that’s going to meet all your central heating requirements.
Viessmann Vitodens 111-W Review
Complete with its own cylinder loading system along with a 46 litre storage tank (equivalent to a 150 litre unvented cylinder) and it’s made from stainless steel, the Vitodens 111-w is here to stay.
What is a storage combi boiler?
The types of boilers that most people know will either be ‘combi boiler’ like the Viessmann Vitodens 050-W or a ‘regular boiler’ (otherwise known as ‘open vent’, so it’s understandable if you’re not too familiar with storage combi boilers.
So, what exactly are they? Unlike the other two options mentioned, storage combi boilers have a hot water cylinder housed inside the boiler itself. The immediate benefit you have from this as a homeowner, is that it drastically reduces the amount of space your heating system takes up. There is no requirement for an external cylinder so more room in that airing cupboard!
However, you’d be right in thinking this isn’t the only good thing about storage combi boilers. Although there are many different boilers, types and sizes available, the Viessmann Vitodens 111-w has water storage equivalent to a 150 litre cylinder. This makes it ideal for larger properties that have 2 bathrooms, or a high demand for water at the same time – typically for a larger family. The 111-w comes as either a 26kw or a 35kw, the size you require is subject to your hot water requirements.
On top of this, if you feel like the 111-w isn’t enough for you, the Vitodens 222-F is also another good option, with a hot water supply equivalent to 200 litres.
111-W Review – Technical Information
- Energy Efficiency Rating: A
- Modulation ratio up to 1:6
- LPG Compatible/Simple conversion
- User friendly control via backlit LCD touchscreen
- Compact dimensions save space (900mm x 600mm x 480mm)
- Available outputs range between 4.7 and 35kw
- 46 litre stainless steel integrated storage tank (equivalent to a 150L storage cylinder)
- Wall-mounted boiler – This allows more flexibility for where it can be positioned in your house
- Low operating noise at 49 decibels
- Combined PRV and condensate connection, for fast and simple installation
- Straightforward access from the front, so no need to leave space at side for maintenance
- Can fill a standard bath in just 8 minutes, whilst also supplying a sink or washbasin simultaneously
What’s included in a Viessmann Vitodens 111-W installation?
As well as finding out about the boiler itself, it’s important to know what’s included during the actual installation as well. Along with the Vitodens 111-w, you’ll also receive:
- A Flue (Vertical or horizontal).
- Chemical Flush – Along with chemical inhibitor, a flush can help clear your system of sludge and deposits that would otherwise make it difficult for your boiler to run at full capacity. This can also be done with a power flush.
- Magnetic Filter – We like to use a brass MB3 magnetic filter called Spirotrap.The filter traps magnetic and non-magnetic dirt particles that can get pumped around your system over time, these particles are collected and then emptied at every annual service. It also comes with a 20 year guarantee. Want to know more? Have a look at this useful explanation video:
- As an optional extra Spirovent RV2 Deaerator – This helps remove micro bubbles that cause the gurgling you might find in some older larger heating systems.
- Programmable room thermostat – Not only can this help you stay organised with how your boiler operates, but it can effectively reduce your energy bills through its usage as well. Some of these stats include EPH, NEST, HIVE and TADO.
- All pipework required for a complete and safe installation.
- Warranties available for up to 10 years.
- A thorough handover with the customer to make sure they fully understand the workings of their new boiler and programmable room thermostat.
- Building Regulation Notification along with all appropriate certification.
- Annual servicing reminders by email from Viessmann.
Viessmann Vitodens 111-W Review Cost
As well as the installation, you’ll need to know the cost of the boiler itself.
As of January 2020, the lowest price for the Viessmann Vitodens 111-W and flue £1,890.00.
With everything included as mentioned above, supply and install from £3,500. If you’re looking for more information on cost and other details besides what’s in our 111-W Review, call us on 02920 650 025. Alternatively, if your current boiler has broken you can also click here to get a quote for a new boiler in minutes!
Along with the boiler, thermostats are an incredibly useful feature to have included in your installation. There are many different types currently available in the UK market, but the one brand we like to recommend is Nest with their smart learning thermostat (Nest Generation 3).
A thermostat like this is particularly impressive with the way it can help you reduce your energy bills. Using a highly advanced learning algorithm, the thermostat is able to adapt to your living habits and detect when you’re in the property, for how long and how many times by using the power of WiFi connected to your smartphone. In doing so, it adjusts your boiler’s settings to optimise on efficiency and saving money.
On top of this, you can also have full control over your thermostat remotely thanks to your smart mobile device. Although this sounds impressive, you’re still given full control as the customer, so you don’t have to worry about the technology doing its own thing. It also provides you with a Nest Home Report, which is a monthly email that summarises your energy use and more. These reports are sent out during the first and second week of every month to your chosen email address.
If your boiler isn’t a storage combi but a standard combi boiler like the Vitodens 050-W, you can still enjoy the benefits of using this great product.
Inox Radial Stainless Steel Heat Exchanger
Along with its impressive output range and storage capacity, the Viessmann Vitodens 111-w also has one of Viessmann’s secret weapons under its white casing: the Inox-Radial Stainless Steel Heat Exchanger, this is patented and made by Viessmann themselves.
This vital component is built with lasting efficiency and top-quality performance in mind. With a material quality one step away from surgical steel, Viessmann heat exchangers offer a far more corrosion-resistant solution compared to the Aluminium one that’s often used in their competitors’ products.
Aluminium itself does show signs of increased thermal conductivity at the start of the boiler’s lifespan, but if you take a look at the graph below, you can see this doesn’t last forever:
As you can see from the graph, the steel in Viessmann’s heat exchangers is a mix of Carbon (1.2%) and Chromium (10.5) which creates a furnace-like environment that’s perfect creating heat in such a small space.
Viessmann Vitodens 111-w Review – Conclusion
With its integrated 46 litre storage tank, compact size dimensions and excellent design the Viessmann Vitodens 111-W is a natural choice for us to recommend.
Due to the continually improved design of Viessmann’s own boiler range, they’ve been able to stay at the top of the leaderboard in terms of service, product quality and aftercare. This is no different for our favourite storage combi boiler.
The 111-W comes as either a 26kw or a 35kw, the size you require is subject to your hot water requirements. The Viessmann Vitodens 111-W is ultimately a fantastic example of how you can further reduce your
annual energy bills while still having a consistent supply of water for you and your property!
B T Morgan Heating Engineers
For more information on the Vitodens 111-W, you can speak to B T Morgan for reliable support and advice. As an installer based in South Wales, with more than 35 years’ experience in the heating industry, you know you’re in safe hands.
If you’re after a particular fuel type for your next boiler, you can also check out some of our other articles:
We’re able to offer competitive prices and 10 Year Warranties for our installations, as well as reassurance that we’ll take you through every step to ensure you’re comfortable with your new boiler. Whether it’s broken or you’re planning ahead, give us a call on 02920 650 025 or get a free, no-obligation quote online today by clicking here!